Did you know that according the the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), between 2004-2008 there were 1,170 home fires where home decorations were the first item ignited. In these fires eight people were killed, 54 were injured and $19.1 million in property was damaged. 45% of these fires were started by candles that were too close to the decoration. As you light candles in your home this winter season, take some simple precautions that will prevent the loss of property and save lives.
-Place candles on a secure surface in sturdy, non-combustible holders that won’t tip over. Make sure holders are large enough to catch drippings.
-Keep candles away from children and pets. Candles should be out of children’s reach.
-Keep candles away from combustible items such as curtains, books and paper. Remember the “three foot rule” – anything combustible needs to be kept at least three feet away from a heat source.
-Keep candles away from flammable liquids. Do not use a candle for light when fueling a kerosene heater or latern. The flame may ignite the fumes.
-Avoid using candles during a power outage. A flashlight is a safer option. Don’t carry a lit candle.Remember to extinguish candles when leaving the room or going to sleep. Never leave children or pets unattended in a room with a lit candle.